Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Recipe For Lemon Poppy Seed Cake - Bread

Here is a recipe I made yesterday for a snack to take to a friends. It is wonderful everybody loved it even my family. I will tell you though I changed a few things but am going to give you the original. I baked this in bread pans instead of cake pans. I used instant lemon pudding and I cooked all frosting ingredients together then let cool so it was more of a glaze than a frosting. I also put the poppy seeds in the milk and warmed it instead of waiting. This mad them moist like the soaking would. I did cut the bread loafs in half and frost between. Put them back together then frosted over top. Hope this is not to confusing any questions feel free to ask.

Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
1/3 c. poppy seed
1 c. milk
2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 c. butter
2 tsp. lemon extract
4 lg. egg whites

Filling
1/4 c. Watkins or other brand lemon dessert
2 T. flour
1 c. milk
1 tsp. lemon extract
1 c. sugar
1 c. butter softened

Soak poppy seed in milk for 3 to 4 hours. Sift together next 3 ingredients; set aside
Gradually blend sugar into butter along with extract. Add poppy seed and milk with flour mixture. Beat egg whites until stiff. Gently fold into batter. Turn into 2 well-greased lightly-floured 8 or 9 inch round pans. Bake at 350 % for 30 minutes cool.

Filling:Mix lemon dessert mix, flour and milk in saucepan. Cook over medium heat until very thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Blend in lemon. Cover and cool. In mixer bowl, beat sugar and butter until fluffy. Gradually add cooled lemon mixture. Beat at high speed for 3 minutes, until consistency of whipped cream. Spread frosting between layers and over entire cake.
Recipe from Marilyn Zimmerman

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from my readers so please feel free to leave me a comment. Rebekah

Swidget 1.0